One Hell of a Beet Soup
This scrummy beetroot soup has super powers. Not only does it look and taste divine but beetroot has the power to heal or better still prevent illness. Which none of us can afford to turn our noses up at. Not that any nose is anything but seduced by the fragrant aromas of orange and ginger gently blended in this gluten and grain free, vegan soup.
Beetroot is great for stamina and full of lovely anti oxidants, fiber, protein and carbohydrates. It’s also full of potassium, magnesium, vitamins A, B6, C and folic acid. All of this makes Beets full of healing properties; helping reduce blood pressure and the risks of heart attacks and strokes, lowers cholesterol, stabilises blood sugars, reduces fatigue and slows down the progress of dementia and can inhibit the growth of cancer.
And last but by no means least the beautiful beet is known as natures viagra. Honestly. What more can you ask from vegetable that already gives you stamina, brain power, nutrients, antioxidants. I might just start growing my own.
Quantities given feed x 2 generously
- 1 x teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, butter or coconut oil
- 1 x onion
- 250g, 90z of raw or organic pre-cooked beetroot peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 x small potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 750ml (1 1/4 pints) vegetable stock
- 1 x table spoon of runny honey or replace with maple syrup or organic agave for vegan
- 1 x teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 x zest of an orange
- 1 x juice of an orange
- Maldon Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Fry the onion gently in the oil for 10 mins, add the potato and beetroot if raw to the pan and cover for 5 more mins.
- Add the stock, honey, ginger and beetroot (if pre-cooked) and bring to the boil then simmer for 25 mins.
- Remove the soup from the heat add the orange juice and zest and blend the ingredients with a blender, or food processor
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy a treat for your body and your taste buds!
Notes: This soup will keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days and freezes very well.
15 Responses to “One Hell of a Beet Soup”
I’ll have to try to make this for my mom sometime as a surprise! She loves beets. Thanks for the recipe : )
My Mum used to make a similar soup. I hope you both enjoy it.
Oooh, I love the combination of flavours!!! Oranges + beetroots sounds very delicious!
It is very rejuvenating. Enjoy.
Oh, I definitely will! Thank you 🙂
This looks great – I can never resist the beautiful purple colour of beet soup!
Thank you. Me too!
Awesome!!!! I think you saw my post today, I’m really into beets right now 🙂 I’m excited to be a new follower!
Yes me too. Welcome!
This soup looks delicious 🙂
Thank you it really is wonderful and so full if goodness.
Such a gorgeous colour!
I know beetroot is beautiful inside and out.
this looks so good!! 🙂
Thank you. It is lovely and full of great stuff.