Get ready to re-define lunch time with this sweet and evocative gluten, meat and grain free dish of roasted fennel, cherry tomatoes and green beans, walnuts and feta cheese. It tastes divine and is full of amazing health benefits and can be enjoyed hot or cold.
I would suggest if you work in an open plan office you eat this unassumingly at your desk, as I don’t think you’ll want to share even the smallest of mouth full’s of this little piece of heaven on a plate.
Fennel is a great immune booster as it contains high levels of vitamin C, it is also rich in fibre, iron and histidine (an amino acid). potassium (a natural anti inflammatory) and antioxidants. Fennel is great for treating anemia, digestion issues, prevent heart disease, maintain blood pressure, good eye function, increase brain function and help with menstrual disorders.
Cherry tomatoes are full of vitamins C, A, and E source of fibre and potassium. They are also an excellent source of the antioxidant lycopene which helps halt free radicals that can harm cells and is thought to help ward off breast, prostate and stomach cancers. It is also thought lycopene might help in skin generation and prevention of wrinkles and is used in some beauty supplements.
Green Beans are full of vitamins C, B1, B12, B6, and K which is known to help speed up healing within the body and thought to help prevent cancer. They are also a source of fibre, calcium, iron, folates, magnesium, potassium, manganese (essential for the bodies metabolism) and antioxidants.
Walnuts are full of vitamins E, B, B6, Zinc, manganese, potassium, folates, iron, calcium, omega-3 essential fatty acids and antioxidants. They are great for maintaining optimum health and energy and are also anti-inflammatory helping reduce the risk of heart disease, strokes and breast, colon and prostate cancers.
Feta Cheese contains vitamins B12, D, folate, iron and is a good source of calcium.
Makes x 2 lunches
- 1 x large fennel bulb, cut off the stalks, hard base and peel (the first layer or so) and cut in to quatered strips
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 x tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 250g, 8oz, 1 and 1/2 cups x cherry tomatoes (ideally organic)
- 1 x tablespoon dried oregano
- 250g, 80z, trimmed green beans (ideally organic)
- 100g fetta cheese crumbled
- 1 x handful of chopped walnuts
- Good quality sea salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c, gas mark 4, 450f and line a baking tray with foil
- Place the fennel on the tray and coat in extra virgin olive oil and roast for 20 mins
- Then add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and oregano and roast for a further 20 mins
- Put a pan of water on to boil and when the water is rising to the boil add the green beans for 5 mins. Then immediately take off the boil and rinse in cold water and put aside.
- Mix the tomatoes, fennel, green beans, feta cheese and walnuts together season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy! This dish is equally delicious cold or re-heated. If using a microwave, cover and re-heat for 2 mins (based on 800w power).
Notes: This dish will keep covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.