I’m not a big fan of putting timings against dishes as we all cook at different speeds and more often than not a phone rings, a baby cries, your boss emails… life happens.
I find too many timings, can take the fun out of cooking and sometimes it’s lovely just to potter and enjoy a glass of wine.
But more often that not I don’t have the luxury of time and suddenly its late and I need to eat NOW!
In such instances this pasta made with courgettes/zucchini has become a fantastic quick and delicious fix.
Packed full with flavour and naturally gluten and grain free.
The combination of this heavenly ‘pasta’ brings all the wonderful flavours and aromas of Italy together with courgettes,baby green spinach, walnuts, halloumi, garlic, rosemary, thyme and parmesan.
It will leave you understanding why the literal translation of regular pasta is simply paste.
It’s ridiculously easy to make and will take less time than cooking regular pasta, with the added bonus of leave you feeling sluggish and bloated afterwards.
Recently we have been very busy in our house getting to know the newest arrival in our family. Elsa.
Who is adorable and we are all totally smitten. Life with a puppy is turning out to be a lot of fun with a few chewed shoes.
Quick Fix Heaven on a plate Zucchini pasta
Feeds x 2 as a main meal
- 1 x tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 x courgettes (zucchini, ideally organic) spiralized or juilened
- 1 x knob of butter (ideally organic, grass fed cows
- 100g, 3.5 oz, of baby spinach leaves (ideally organic)
- 125g, 4.40z, of Halloumi
- 2 x small hands of broken walnut pieces
- 4 x tablespoons of grated parmasen cheese
- 2 x tablespoons of mixed thyme and rosemary leaves
- 1 x tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Maldon or other good quality Sea Salt and Pepper to season
I have experimented with a few different combinations of ingredients and ways of cooking this dish including salting the courgette ribbons first but I found this made the ‘pasta’ too damp and soggy.
- Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat and fry the strips of halloumi for 1 min on each side then take out and cut into little bite size chunks
- Then add the courgette/zucchini pasta into the pan on a low heat for 1 min
- Add the knob of butter to the courgettes and immedietely add the spinach, rosemary and thyme leaves on a medium heat for a further minute
- Take off the heat and mix in the halloumi, walnuts, parmesan and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Notes: This dish is best enjoyed immediately