This naturally grain and gluten-free salad is a brilliant mashup of summer and autumn flavours together on one plate and the latest in my Lunch To Go series.
Raw, organic kale and tomatoes give the colours and texture of summer alongside the comforting autumnal flavours of aubergine and roasted butternut squash. The addition of few cheeky bites of halloumi gives this salad another dimension of texture and taste, but is no show stopper if you leave it out for a vegan version.
What really brings this salad together is the zesty mint dressing that will blow your taste buds socks off . Often the most simple ingredients are the most jaw dropingly enjoyable and here the combination of mint, organic cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil create some magic.
Organic cider vinegar is an awesome ingredient that has super health benefits; known to help the gut, detox, maintain balanced PH levels within the body, reduce skin blemishes and help get rid of the common cold.
I love this time of year as the leaves start to gently fall of the trees. It’s a particular special time of the year for me, my first baby girl was born in September so it transports me back in time to that very exciting and somewhat daunting era, but without the agony of labour, and sleep deprivation!
It will also shortly be one year since I started this blog, which seems a bit bonkers. It sounds a little clichéd but it has been the most amazing life changing journey in food, health, and even genetics. I LOVE writing this blog but most importantly a I owe a HUGE thank you to YOU for following and reading!!
Falling leaf salad
This salad is yummy cold or warm, making it an excellent, adaptable portable lunch you can enjoy in the office, on the road, where ever the heck you choose to dine and enjoy this little bit of #Lunch2Go heaven.
Makes 4 generous lunches
- 1 x large or 2 x small Butternut Squash, preferably organic, flesh and seeds removed cut in to small bite size chunks
- 1 x large or 2 x small Cauliflower or x 2 small heads, preferably organic and cut into small bite size florets
- 1 x large or 2 x small Aubergine preferably organic, sliced into 1cm thick slices the length of the aubergine
- 250g, or approx. 9 ounces of Halloumi Cheese, cut into .5cm thick strips.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 200g, approx. 7 ounces of Organic Kale
- 225g, approx. 8 ounces of Organic Baby Plumb Tomatoes, cut in halves
- 50g, approx. 1.7 ounces Fresh Mint leaves finely chopped
- 3 x tablespoons of organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 x tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 x tablespoon of water
- A good pinch of Maldon or alternative sea salt
Pre-heat the oven to 180c, gas mark 4, 250f
- Lightly coat the butternut squash and cauliflower in extra virgin olive oil and roast in the oven for 40 mins
- Place a griddle pan on a high heat (you can use a frying pan if you don’t have a griddle pan), gently brush both sides of the sliced aubergine with more oil and place on the griddle for 2-4 mins on each side until cooked through then cut into bit size chunks.
- Brush the halloumi with extra virgin olive oil and heat on the griddle for one minute each side and then cut into in to bite size chunks.
- Mix the vinegar, oil and water together then add the mint and salt.
- Assemble all the ingredients on plate or in your lunch box and dress by drizzling over the amazing dressing. Enjoy!
This salad will keep in a fridge covered for up to 3 days. For best results dress the salad immediately before eating. For a vegan option omit the Halloumi.