Cream of Celeriac Soup With Bacon Croutons (Gluten/Grain/Dairy Free)
This soup is a little bit of creamy sophistication in a bowl. Requiring just a handful of ingredients, its super easy and quick to make.
I have an ongoing love affair with Celeriac (also known as Celery Root). Often friends say ‘I don’t like celeriac’ but when I dig a little deeper they’ve often only tried it once and it’s been badly cooked or plain, so I make it my mission to change to initiate them into the world of celeriac lovers.
One of the reasons I love celeriac is its versatility. It’s brilliant at absorbing and mixing in with a vast range of flavours and textures whilst retaining a quite confidence through its subtle but somewhat nutty flavour.
To find out more how I love to cook with Celeriac check out all of my celeriac starring recipes; Celeriac Remoulade & Fuckit Lists, Paleo Beef, Celeriac & Chestnut Mushroom Stew and Quinoa, Celeriac and Goats Cheese Burgers.
This soup works so well because it builds on the sleek velvety sweetness of the celeriac injecting it with a shot of creaminess from natures wonderous medicine coconut milk. Coconut milk not only tastes divine and is full of healthy fats, it also boosts your immune system and metabolism as its full of vitamins, antioxidants and lauric acid.
Cream of Celeriac Soup With Bacon Croutons
A subtle, elegant creamy nourishing soup.
- 1 x litre of water
- 1 x Celeriac (ideally organic) peeled and chopped into bite size chunks
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 x Onion (ideally organic) peeled and diced
- 200ml x organic coconut milk
- 1 x tablespoon of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 x rashes of Organic Streaky Bacon (ideally nitrate and sugar free)
- Maldon Sea Salt (or alternative good quality natural salt flakes) and Black Pepper
- Bring the water to boil in a large pan and then add the celeriac, after one minute turn the heat down to a simmer and leave for 10 mins
- In a separate frying pan gently heat the chopped onions until they are softened for 10 mins
- Leave the celeriac in the water to cool then add the onions and blend using a hand blender or machine into an even paste
- Cook your bacon, I prefer to place mine in a baking tray for 10 or so minutes and then cut the rashes into 1 cm long strips to make your ‘croutons’
- Add the paste back into the sauce pan and add the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar, gently bring to the boil simmer for 5 mins
- Then season with salt and pepper to taste, serve in warmed bowls, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (don’t be afraid to do this just shake your bottle about and you’ll be amazed with the results!), sprinkle with your bacon croutons and enjoy!
Notes: This soup will keep well covered in a fridge for up to 4 days and will also freeze well.
7 Responses to “Cream of Celeriac Soup With Bacon Croutons (Gluten/Grain/Dairy Free)”
Lovely looking soup – so smoooooth!
It is Karinna, just my kind of soup. Hope your having a fab Autumn?
Reblogged this on Favourite Gluten Free Recipes.
Thank you for sharing!
Reblogged this on Stop the Inanity and commented:
One of the things I love about living in Germany is the strong belief in only eating seasonal foods. They celebrate asparagus season for god’s sake: http://germanfoods.org/german-food-facts/spargelzeit-asparagus-season-in-germany/ And right now, celery root is in season so I’m going to make me some of this! Thanks for the recipe, Tabitha!
Hey thank you that’s great.
Inkorten eat fried smoked pices on top of my soup! Your celeriac soup,looks very Yummy. I love that there is coconut milk in here.