I should quickly note this is not the great Antonio Carluccio’s recipe per se but inspired by the delicious egg pappardelle dish served at Carluccio’s Restaurants. An old favourite.
In essence this is a classic, very simple Italian dish. This version has all the wonderful taste but without the gluten! It works because the velvet texture of the mushrooms become silky and smooth under the light garlic, butter and parsley sheen, creating an exquisite and intoxicating plate of mushroom heaven.
The other great thing about this dish is that it is very quick and simple to make and cheap!
You can go to town with the mushrooms if you have availability and time or you can use a combination of button and chestnut varieties.
Recently I’ve been making this using a bag of frozen mushrooms, that include shiitake, oyster, porcini and button.
Using good quality frozen mushrooms makes this dish super easy to cook at a minutes notice and at £2.49 for Waitrose’s Cook’s Frozen Mushroom Medley you can feed 4 people for under a fiver!! (£5.00)
I love mushrooms as does Mr Carluccio who dedicated a whole book to them, ‘Complete Mushroom Book – The Quiet Hunt’ 2003. An excellent and authoritative guide to cooking mushrooms, foraging your own and a wealth of fantastic recipes. A must for any mushroom lover’s Christmas list.
Serves 4 as a main course or 6 as a starter.
- 500g x gluten-free pasta
- 225g fresh mushrooms of your choice (mixed shiitake, oyster, porcini and button) or 1 x Waitrose bag of frozen Cooks Ingredients Mushroom Medley 300g
- 3 x tablespoons of butter
- 2 x tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x tablespoons of fresh or frozen parsley
- 2 x garlic cloves crushed or grated
- 30 x grams of parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste – heavy on the salt
- Cook pasta as per pack instructions. I find with gluten-free pasta its important to stir it regularly and rinse in cold water afterwards to remove the starch.
- Gently fry your mushrooms, garlic and parsley in the olive oil on a low heat until cooked through and all the water has evaporated from the mushrooms approx. 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper, heavy on the salt.
- Add the butter and gently melt then add the pasta and stir though until all the pasta is covered and warmed through.
- Stir through the parmesan, salt and pepper to taste and serve!