I am really proud of this salad.
Between you and me I shouldn’t be blogging about it now as I have a few other things I should be doing. But those lists and jobs and every day stuff however practically important is not what life is really about.
I had a few ingredients and thought I’d try roasting some Kale after reading about how delicious it is. I wasn’t disappointed and I thought I can’t put it on a list to blog about later, I’ve got to share it now. This salad is beautiful.
Beetroot, goats cheese and walnuts are always a winning combination for me and the crispy curly kale further enhances this meeting of flavours and gives it an extra delicious bite. The roasted goats cheese oozes over the soft plump beets all held loosely together and perfectly balanced by sweet balsamic and Dijon vinaigrette.
Whats more it took less than 15 mins to throw together and under £4.00, brought from my local Lidl and you make it all in just one roasting tray.
This salad is packed with lots of health benefits and both Kale and Beetroot are great detox foods, perfect for keeping your liver healthy in this festive party season!
Kale and beetroot are also full of antioxidants that help ward off several types of cancer, vitamins C, A, and B. Rich sources of calcium, protein, potassium and folic acid as well as being anti anti-inflammatory foods helping fight against arthritis, asthma and autoimmune disorders.
Walnuts too are another great anti-inflammatory food, high in omega 3, iron, zinc, vitamin B6, protein and antioxidants.
It also looks amazingly festive. Enjoy!
The amazing winter sun in my kitchen today as I took this salad out of the oven #no filter
Roasted Kale, Beetroot, Goats Cheese and Walnut warm salad (Grain/gluten/meat free with DF Option)
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter or side dish
- 200g x curly Kale
- 500g x 4 beetroot – I used pre-cooked, but of course fresh beetroot would be fantastic too)
- 180g x goats cheese
- 50g x chopped walnuts
- 4 x tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 .5 x tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 x teaspoon of dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c, gas mark 6,400f
- Rinse the beetroot and chop in to wedges
- Add the beetroot and Kale to a large roasting pan and lightly drizzle in Olive oil
- Cook in the oven for 8 mins
- Slice the Goats cheese in to .5 cm pieces
- Add the goats cheese and walnuts to the oven and cook for a further 5 mins
- Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard together to create a vinaigrette
- Take roasting pan from the oven and mix in the vinaigrette and season with Salt and Pepper to taste and serve.