This simple but endearing Tortilla of asparagus spears and rosemary is the perfect dish to knock together for an impromptu lunch or supper with friends.
Grain, and gluten free it can be easily paired with green beans, or a generous green or tomato salad, and you have a delicious simple meal with little fuss. Perfect for a last minute catch up, enjoyed with a couple of glasses or more of your favourite tipple.
I love the Spanish attitude to food, so easy going and focussed on having a good time. Any trip to Spain is always a gastronomic experience with its vast array of different flavours, meats, sea food and regional dishes. Offering a melting pot of flavours and influences including those from their Italian neighbours and the long lasting Moorish occupation.
I am a big fan of Tapas, and this Tortilla as well as being a fabulous go-to option for a last minute gathering, is also one of dishes in my favourite Tapas recipes, also grain and gluten free, which I will be posting later in the week.
Hola! Asparagus Spear Tortilla
feeds 6 as a main meal
- 1 x tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 500g new potatoes (ideally organic) cut in to 1 cm cubes
- 1 x red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 450g fresh asparagus (ideally organic) trimmed, breaking the bottom hard part of the spear off (if you gently bend the spear they should naturally snap where the bottom part of the spear stops being too hard to eat)
- 9 x large fresh organic eggs
- 2 x cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- 75g of mild cheddar cheese
- leaves from 6 x sprigs of rosemary
- Good pinch of Maldon Sea Salt and Pepper
Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 180c, 450f,
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large oven proof pan and gently fry the potato cubes for 5 mins before adding the onion and continue to fry for a further 5 mins.
- Put a pan of water on to boil, as the water rises to the boil add the asparagus spears to the water and continue to boil for 4-5 mins, until the spears are al dente. Then immediately plunge in a bowl of cold or ideally iced water (this helps keep the colour and form of the spears).
- Gently beat or whisk the eggs, cheese, garlic, salt and two-thirds of the rosemary leaves together.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the potatoes and onion, then carefully place the asparagus spears on top of the mixture and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary.
- Heat the mixture on a medium heated stove until you see the mixture start to set on the edges (approx. 3 mins) then transfer to a medium heated grill to finish off until a light goldenie brown (approx. another 3-5 mins).
Notes: Eat immediately hot or warm or enjoy cold. Keeps well in covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.