This naturally gluten, grain and dairy free soup is a creamy luxurious hug in a bowl. A hug that will boost your health though its inflammation busting ingredients of turmeric, ginger, coconut milk and bone broth, aka chicken stock. Helping you manage pain, combat and ward of bugs and viruses , auto immune diseases and generally look after your body inside and out.
Coconut milk has had ill informed bad press in the past due to its high fat content, but it can actually help you lose weight. The healthy fatty acids in coconut milk are understood to actually boost your metabolism and immune system, WOW!
It’s also one of natures strongest medicines full of vitamins, anti oxidants and lauric acid, that help fight and prevent viruses, infections and disease.
I love the creaminess coconut milk adds without the lactose of regular cream. It’s a great handy addition to many dishes when you want a creamy taste without the widening waist band or dairy.
As well as reducing inflammation making your own Chicken stock (see here for how) is also great for healing the gut, fighting the flu or cold viruses, reducing joint pain and healthy bones.
At this time of year I love to swap salad lunches for some warm nourishing soup. Easy to make, store and take with you soup is a no brainer meal. This soup is particularly easy, you don’t even have to peel the butternut squash, giving it an extra dimension of texture and flavour.
The honey roasted pecan nuts finish the soup off with a little bit of sweet sophisticated nuttiness. Swoon.
Creamy Comfort Butternut Squash Soup with Honey Roasted Pecans
A warming anti inflammatory, creamy luxurious hug in a bowl.
- 1 x good sized butternut squash (ideally organic) cut into bite sized chunks without the flesh and seeds
- 1 x red onion (ideally organic), peeled and cut into bit size chunks
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 375ml of chicken stock (bone broth)
- 3 x garlic cloves finely grated or crushed
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated
- 1 x tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1.5 x tablespoons of gluten-free Soy Sauce (ideally organic)
- 400ml x coconut milk (ideally organic)
- 1 x handful of pecan nuts
- baking paper
- Organic runny honey
Pre-heat your oven to 180c, gas mark 4, 350f
- Coat your butternut squash and onion pieces in the extra virgin olive oil and roast in the oven
- Let the squash and onion cool down and then blend with the bone broth, ginger, turmeric, garlic and soy sauce.
- Place the blended veg and broth in a large pan and add the coconut milk, bring to the boil and then simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes
- Put some baking paper in a roasting tray and lay your pecan nuts on top. Cover with honey and then roast in the warmed oven for ten minutes. Sprinkle on the top of your soup and enjoy!