Warming Carrot, Ginger and Rosemary Soup
There are many things I love about winter. Coughs, colds and winter bugs are not amongst them.
This brilliant warming soup is just the answer if you’re starting to come down with a cold or feeling lousy with one.
And if your fit and healthy it will give your immune system a little power boost and help keep those pesty coughs and colds at bay.
Most importantly it tastes amazing, the carrots ginger and honey give it a sweetness and a velvet texture of comfort which is given an added layer of sophistication by the beautiful aroma’s and perfect balance of the savoury rosemary.
Carrots, ginger, garlic and rosemary are all warming foods and hold many nutritional benefits.
This soup provides a source of vitamin C, whilst ginger helps push out colds and fevers and assists with pain caused by coughing and sore throats as does the honey with its anti inflammatory and antibacterial properties and finally rosemary helps boost the immune system and improve blood circulation.
So this soup will not only help you feel better if you have a cough but also keep your immune system strong and healthy and less likely to catch one. All for less than the cost of a packet of Lemsip!
When we digest food it has different effects on our body. Warming foods increase blood flow and energy and ultimately body temperature and are very helpful in sustaining a strong and healthy immune system.
As winter fast approaches the lack of heat can make us cold and sluggish so it is really beneficial to eat warming foods that restore the natural balance within our bodies.
The principle of warming foods originates from traditional chinese medicine which believes most if not all healing comes from within. It focuses on creating harmony and balance within our body and immediate environment, treating the cause not the effects of illness.
When I created this soup it was all about trying to find new flavour combinations for a carrot soup.
It was only when I started to think about putting it on my blog that I found all its amazing health benefits. Another happy accident and one I hope you will enjoy and benefit from.
If you’ve liked this post please feel free to share, comment and like.
1KG x carrots
2 x onions
1 x cloves of garlic grated or crushed
1 x teaspoon of ginger (grated or ready to use g-f)
1 x tablespoon of finely chopped fresh or dried rosemary
1 x tablespoon of clear honey
1 x cup of water (if required)
Salt and Pepper to season
Plain goats yoghurt or creme fraiche to finish
This feeds 6 generously and freezes well.
1. Place a large pot of water on the hob to boil
2. Peel and dice the carrots
3. Place the carrots in the boiling water and leave to simmer until soft (approx. 10-15 mins)
3. Saute the onions in a small frying pan until they are lovely and soft (approx. 5 mins)
4. Add the garlic to the onions and stir through for a minute then take off the heat
5. Leave the carrots to cool in the water. When cooled add the onions and garlic and blend the carrots in the water in batches in a blender/ mixer or with a hand held blender.
6. Add the blended carrots, garlic and onion back to the large pan and add the rosemary, ginger , honey and pinch of sea salt, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins
7. Check the consistency of your soup and add more water if you prefer it is too thick for you.
8. Season well with salt and pepper leave to cook for a final 5 minutes.
9. Take off the heat and serve with a blob or goats yoghurt or creme fraiche.
4 Responses to “Warming Carrot, Ginger and Rosemary Soup”
Soup is one of my favourite dinners and this one definitely ticks all the boxes for healthy, vego and super simple. Can’t wait to give it a try x
Thank you. I hope to be posting some new soups soon.
Wonderful post! We are linking to this great article on our site.
Keep up the good writing.